Art Van Go - Hot Textiles 2 - 27th and 28th April Part 1 of 2

students painting up products

I always enjoy teaching at Art Van Go, www.artvango.co.uk we are all SO well looked after. Fresh coffee and tea on tap with biscuits in the morning and chocolates in the afternoon. But I suppose you will want to know about the work!
Hot Textiles 2 is the follow on workshop from Hot Textiles - funnily enough! The main idea of these workshops is the safe and creative use of irons, heat guns and soldering irons. Although my book Hot Textiles was published back in 2007 these workshops are still my most popular. 


We were working with Vilene Spunbond, Tyvek, pelmet (craft) Vilene, Bondaweb, painted and plain and polyester organza, all the usual suspects. I also included Hot Stuff Sheets and Lamifix. As followers of this blog will already know, I have a passion for old painted and dyed newspaper. The faux chenille technique with newspaper was also tried out in this workshop to great success. It is featured in my new book and judging by the reactions from my students I will be teaching a few newspaper related workshops next year.

 layering the newspaper
Once all the products had been painted we could get on and layer using machine stitch to hold every thing together. We layered various weights of Vilene Spunbond with polyester organza, Tyvek was layered in the same way.


various weights of Vilene Spunbond and polyester organza machine stitched together

 the layers distressed with a heat gun to reveal different layers of colour
 
 It is important to layer with the heaviest product at the bottom and the lightest at the top. always use a 'poker', a pair of scissors or paintbrush to hold your work in place rather than your fingers.

 This was a rather rare and very wonderful sight, one of my students making notes in a sketch book!!!!!!!!! Please note the use of the bold highlight!!!!!

 Fabulous layers!

I will report back over the weekend with Part 2 of this workshop, I am now off down the coast for some R and R with a certain gentleman of my acquaintance - Yeeeeehha!

*

Just a postscript to yesterdays post, if any of you have a website that is managed by some one other than yourself do check out what, if any, Disaster Recovery Policy they have. I have now got my perspective back, its only a website - no body died! It's just the time it takes to redo what has already been done. I keep hard copies of all orders (the names, addresses and products, not financial information) so not too much has been lost apart from time . . . 

Comments

  1. A gentleman? I thought you were coming to see me...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts

Extreme Surfaces for Stitch - West Dean College July 17 - 20

Zap, Pow, Slash and Burn! Foredown Tower part the first

Hot Textiles at The Bridge, Brighton. 6th and 7th September

The Full Works - 2 day workshop, Solihull Embroiderers Guild 17th & 18th July

More prettys at Bobbys

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot Techniques for jewelled surfaces - part 2

Sussex Quilters - Tinkering with Tyvek workshop 5th June

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot techniques for jewelled surfaces part 3

Registering your interest in my online teaching . . .

Colouricious Textiles Holiday - Block Printing Jaipur. 20th - 30th September 2016