The Geelong Fibre Forum - 24th to 30th September 2023

Printed layers of bonded recycled papers

It's not long now - The Geelong Fibre Forum in Australia 24th to 30th September 2023 is just 12 weeks away!! I had better start getting organised. It always takes longer than I think. Planning what I can take in my suitcases. Teaching a 5 day workshop on the other side of the world can be a challenge, what materials do I REALLY need to take? The students have a comprehensive materials list, but I am always worried someone might forget something.

I think there are couples of places left on my workshop - https://taftainc.com.au/workshops/kim-thittichai

I haven't taught in Australia or New Zealand since 2019. I was due to teach this workshop in 2020 - but we we all know what happened that year, things got very quiet!! So International Tutors are now being invited back to the Fibre Forums and Quilt Symposia.

Painting The Journey
Taking sections from The Journey


Printing blocks created from the original designs taken from The Journey

It's going to be wonderful teaching face to face again. The workshop I will be teaching is A Workshop of 2 Halves. Part design and part 3D. I will be teaching The Journey exercise (for the only time this year), we will then create printing blocks from the original designs.

Decorated layers of recycled papers. Lot of gilding flake and folis 





Printed layers of bonded recycled papers

It is great fun to layer up all the painted recycled papers with painted Bondaweb/Vliesofix ready to print and stitch onto them. And of course, we will be using gilding flake and transfer foil to decorate the papers, if you want to . .

Machine stitching into the printed papers 

 Once we have printed onto the decorated papers the students can decide whether to hand or machine stitch into their work before we iron the work onto the heavier interfacings. We will be experimenting with the beautiful leather like interfacings from Vlieseline -  Decovil 1 and Decovil 1 light. Even the heavier S133 which is great for boxes and larger vessels.


A beautifully decorated box using Decovil 1

This large vessel has been created using S133


I am so excited to be going back to the Fibre Forum, It will be wonderful to catch up with old friends, and make new ones. It will be full on, very little time to rest, lots of dressing up and having fun, lectures to give and to go to, the traders hall is always a must visit and there will be a chance to sell some of my work at the art sale. 

So I need to get busy . . 

***


And what will happen to my girls while I am away I hear you ask?

My leggy blondes - Pops & Fizz

When I bought my house in Ireland, I also made 2 very good friends in the couple I bought the house from. These lovely people visit us regularly and love the girls and the girls love them. So they will be staying in the house they built and know all about, to look after Pops & Fizz, while I am travelling. I can go away with absolute confidence that the house and my girls will be very well looked after. It makes a huge difference.

***


Comments

Popular posts

Extreme Surfaces for Stitch - West Dean College July 17 - 20

Zap, Pow, Slash and Burn! Foredown Tower part the first

Hot Textiles at The Bridge, Brighton. 6th and 7th September

The Full Works - 2 day workshop, Solihull Embroiderers Guild 17th & 18th July

More prettys at Bobbys

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot Techniques for jewelled surfaces - part 2

Sussex Quilters - Tinkering with Tyvek workshop 5th June

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot techniques for jewelled surfaces part 3

Registering your interest in my online teaching . . .

Colouricious Textiles Holiday - Block Printing Jaipur. 20th - 30th September 2016