Wednesday, 9 October 2019

Quilt Symposium 2019 - Auckland New Zealand

 5 layers of heavy paper Tyvek, layered with polyester organza, machine stitched together and then zapped with a heat gun.

The Auckland Quilt Symposium 2019 was a fabulous affair. 30 tutors from near and far taught, I don't know how many, students over 5 days. A remarkable feat of organisation and great fun to be part of. I taught 3 workshops. A New Starting Point, Tinkering with Tyvek and Look, Draw, Print, Stitch.

The Symposium was held in a girls school with great facilities. I was given a room in the science block. It was fabulous, my friends Alysn Midgelow Marsden and Jane Callender were teaching in the same block. I had stayed with Alysn for a few days before the Symposium and I hadn't seen Jane since we did the ICHF craft shows in the UK about 7 years ago. It was so good to catch up with her.

The rooms were were perfect as they had electric sockets in the floor under the tables and they also had sinks- what more could a girl ask??

The first workshop was a 2 day version of A New Starting Point. We painted up Bondaweb/Vliesofix and the students had already painted up old newspapers, book pages and maps.

We started to tear and layer up our 'backgrounds and pretties'.
Using gilding flake in this process is very effective.

 Layering and tearing papers creates a fabulous effect.

 
 This is one of the finished samples.

 
I loved watching this student. She was smiling all day long. It was such a joy to watch her work.

 A happy group layering up their 'backgrounds and pretties'.

Once the group had got to grips with the layering process, we had a break on the second morning and made some newspaper fux chenille.
 
 5 sheets of newspaper were layered with polyester organza. These layers were then stitched together by machine in lines, on a long stitch about 1/2 inch apart.

 I had a great time teaching this group and 2 of them were in my 3rd workshop.

The next workshop was Tinkering with Tyvek. A day to explore and play with this fun product.

 Lots of Tyvek drying in the corridor.

First of all we painted both sides of the Tyvek. We used 75gm paper type Tyvek and the fabric type, the sort used to make scene of crime suits.

Then the fun started, teaching the delicate process of ironing to create texture. 
The 3 magic words are . . Kiss, Stroke and Caress!!

 A few of the first samples.

 
 A happy group stitching their layers of Tyvek ready to zap with a heat gun.

One of the fun samples we worked on was 5 layers of 75gm Tyvek layered with polyester organza and then free machine stitched together. The samples were then zapped with a heat gun to reveal the different layers of colour.

 
 2 of the zapped back samples.

The great thing about layering up Tyvek is that it becomes quite strong and would be great to make vessels or boxes. 

We also made corsages . .

 3 circles of Tyvek stitched together and then zapped, gently, with a heat gun.

Great fun was had by all of us.

The last workshop was a 2 day version of Look, Draw, Print, Stitch. I think this workshop is the best thing I do. It is a great way to help you generate unique designs. It is important to use designs that are your own, not others.
It is a shorter version of my 'Journey' workshop.

I was pleased to have 6 students in the group. Students tend to avoid design classes - which is a shame as it is so very important.

We started with the 'this is not a competition' chat. When you ask most students to draw it can make their hearts sink, they need support.

 A drawing using the equipment in the science room as inspiration.

 Once the drawings were completed the students started to take sections to isolate designs.

 One of the designs.

 
 And then the tracings . . .

   . . . and then the printing blocks . .

 Some the printing blocks. Totally original.

And then the printing began . . 

 Of course the baby wipes that we used to clean the blocks were a huge success. I have been using these wipes for years and I love the matt texture.

 We did print on paper and fabric too.

Then we had a session of flipping and mirroring one of their designs . . . to create more new designs.

 
 Starting to paint the design.

Then we had a play with applique. We ironed Bondaweb onto the back of a good print on a baby wipe then cut out the positive part of the print. This was then ironed onto another baby wipe background . . .

 This is one of Michelles apliqued prints and you can just see a little hand stitch if you look closely. We did get to stitch on some of the prints.

 This piece was created by Heather. A baby wipe print ironed onto dyed Japanese paper, ready to stitch.

 
 This is Michelle and her work . .

 Jenny . .

 Debbie . .

 Lorraine . .

 and Heather.

Sadly Hilary to leave before the end of the class.

 This one of her fabulous prints on fabric. The positive design has bee overprinted by the negative design.

This is the amazing committee, (all volunteers) that worked so hard to create this wonderful event. Thank you ladies - it was FANTASTIC!!

 ***

If you are interested in any of these workshops but can't get to Ireland to my studio, I do teach versions of all of these workshops online. 

If you have any questions, do please email me - info@kimthittichai.com



No comments:

Post a Comment