Being different . . part 1

 

Aunty Shirley on the left, me in the middle and Mum on the right.


Is it nature or nurture that makes us different? As the oldest of 2 sisters, I was encouraged to be the noisy, happy little performer and my sister Lynda, was always described as the quiet, thoughtful one. And that is what we became . . 

I remember being very young, having to stand on a box in my Nana's garden singing "Senor Don Gato was a cat . " for the family and all the neighbours, I hated it.

I was creative and colourful and not very academic, whereas Lynda always did well in school and quietly got on with life.  Basically I took up all the room!! It wasn't until I left home to go to art college at 17, that Lynda really started to blossom.

Lynda, my sister on the left and me on the right

Apart from the usual early sibling rivalry, my sister and I have always got on, now more than ever. Lynda is the best thing in my life. We are both very lucky to have been able to work on our relationship through the years of marriages and divorce and we are each others best friend. My little sister visits me every 2 or 3 months here in Ireland. She loves it here.

Having had a small, warning, stroke last year, it has made me stop and take stock. I am getting older, there is less time . . I'm not being maudlin, just thoughtful. I think a shock like that does make you think. As it should do. The stroke didn't affect my speech, but it does take longer to type and spell at the moment, but I am getting there. I just have to keep checking and reading everything through several times. I am so very grateful I had the warning and not the big one!!

Being different can be good in most circumstances, people notice you first, and of course, I love being noticed.

But being different doesn't necessarily help when you are self employed and trying to support yourself. I will talk about that in the next blog post . .

I know this is a rather different blog post, I don't often share my personal life, but I think there are many of us getting to this point in life and sometimes it is good to read that someone else is going through the same thing.

 ***

We are enjoying the SECOND day of sunshine here on the west coast of Ireland. It is a wonderful reprieve from SO much rain. I know it has been the same in the UK and a lot of Europe. And then my friends in Australia are telling me they haven't had any rain for months - and could we send some.

I made myself laugh out loud earlier - I was standing in the dog run singing and dancing to YMCA at the top of my voice, it is good to be daft sometimes, and celebrate - being here! Here is a short video . . 


I will continue this over the weekend . . have a great Easter.



Comments

Popular posts

Extreme Surfaces for Stitch - West Dean College July 17 - 20

Zap, Pow, Slash and Burn! Foredown Tower part the first

Hot Textiles at The Bridge, Brighton. 6th and 7th September

The Full Works - 2 day workshop, Solihull Embroiderers Guild 17th & 18th July

More prettys at Bobbys

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot Techniques for jewelled surfaces - part 2

Sussex Quilters - Tinkering with Tyvek workshop 5th June

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot techniques for jewelled surfaces part 3

Registering your interest in my online teaching . . .

Colouricious Textiles Holiday - Block Printing Jaipur. 20th - 30th September 2016