Geelong Fibre Forum 2023 - the people who make it happen

Bronnie and Larissa, what a team!

 

This is the last of 5 daily blog posts about The Geelong Fibre Forum 2023. It was important to me to record as much as I could about my students, their work and all the fun . . . and my dear friends. To see the first post and then the others - go to - Geelong Fibre Forum 2023


The organisation of an event the size of the Geelong Fibre Forum is mind blowing. It is all run by volunteers!! The main 2 being Bronnie and Larissa. How they manage to run The Geelong Fibre Forum every year, whilst working full time and running homes and families - I really don't know. Thank you so much lovely girls, this was a fantastic forum.

This year was particularly special for several reasons. One being that Bronnie and Larissa had an exhibition of their own work. It was a real treat to see what they love creating. The opening party was fabulous, very much enjoyed by everyone.

Bronnie & Larissa opening the exhibition

Lots of happy talk and discussion about the work

Some of Larissa's crazy chaos people, they were such fun

Beautiful paintings by Bronnie

Part of Bronnie's installation of eco dyed panels

I wish I had taken more photos of Larissa's work, but I couldn't get near it  . .

The exhibition opening was on Monday night and then on Wednesday night we had Party Night!! Oh my goodness, a disco with a DJ and dancing. I haven't danced for ages, it was SOOO good. The theme was - The Great Southern Land. The outfits were fabulous, but these were my favourites . .

Larissa and Bronnie with Mary and 2 baby Koala's!! 
The best part for me was seeing this video of Nicola, in costume, hopping across the dining room floor pre party!! Just brilliant, Well done Dawn for capturing this rare occasion.

I said previously that this forum was particularly special for me. Another reason was being able to catch up with friends I have taught with before and not seen for several years. Seeing the wonderful Mary Hettmansperger from America again was very special. Mary is an amazing basket maker and metal smith. We first taught together in 2009 and then 2010 I think and once more until this forum. It's difficult to keep up with the dates as these were pre digital, imagine that, a time when our images weren't date stamped! I am hoping that Mary will be coming to Ireland to teach quite soon and will be able to stay with me for a few days.

 

The wondrous Mary Hettmansperger

Making the most of taking selfies - Me and Mary

Another great catch up was with Pam De Groot from Australia What a powerhouse of an artist. Pam started out as a ceramicist, then became a remarkable felter and also turns her hand to silversmithing. We have also taught together several times in Australia and it was so very good to actually see her, not just communicating through FB.

Me and Pam

One tutor I was very much looking forward to meeting was the felt maker Dawn Edwards from America. I had heard so much about her and we have a few mutual friends, but we had never met - well we have now!! My goodness what a fab time we had.

Mary and Dawn having the best time at the party

Pam, Nicola, Dawn and me holding Pam's magnificent felt pod.

And then there was Nicola . .  We first met at the forum in 2015 and became good friends. It is thanks to Nicola that I had the courage to make the jump to Ireland. Nicola lives on the East Coast of Ireland and I live on the West Coast. We both lead busy lives, but manage to see each other 3 or 4 times a year. It was so good to be at the forum with her again this year.

Me and Nicola in the car park waiting for the bus to Melbourne after the forum

It was quite emotional saying goodbye to my friends, you never quite know what life will hold. But we have plans for Mary, Dawn, Pam, Nicola and I to meet up in Ireland in the next 18 months or so. I really hope we can make it work. 

Whilst the main reason for The Geelong Fibre Forum is the students, it is also a wonderful way for the tutors to become friends.

A very happy Kim standing by her students work

 Which brings me back to my students, a very special group. For those of you who read this - thank you. Thank you for a remarkable week of experimentation, play and fun!! You all worked so well together. Sharing ideas and skills. I am so very proud of the work you all created, and I hope you will continue to develop your ideas. If you do, please let me know and send me photos.


 Thank you  - Simone, Sally, Kerri, Mardi, Juldi, Susan, Sally, Kath, Hilary, Wilma, Julianne and of course - Jenny.

Sending you all love from a bright but cold and windy Ireland.
Until next time . . .  

 

 

Comments

Popular posts

Extreme Surfaces for Stitch - West Dean College July 17 - 20

Zap, Pow, Slash and Burn! Foredown Tower part the first

Hot Textiles at The Bridge, Brighton. 6th and 7th September

The Full Works - 2 day workshop, Solihull Embroiderers Guild 17th & 18th July

More prettys at Bobbys

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot Techniques for jewelled surfaces - part 2

Sussex Quilters - Tinkering with Tyvek workshop 5th June

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot techniques for jewelled surfaces part 3

Registering your interest in my online teaching . . .

Colouricious Textiles Holiday - Block Printing Jaipur. 20th - 30th September 2016