The Festival of Quilts 2023


Me on my stand having the best time, photo by Amanda Duke

Well I am back - just! I got back home in Ireland on Monday night. I still haven't fully unpacked the car. I am waiting for some energy to galvanise me - maybe it will arrive tomorrow . . !

The Festival of Quilts was fabulous. It was like one big colourful party. It was so good to catch up with so many friends. There was so much laughter and squeals of delight. Lots of plans were hatched and several trips planned.

The beginnings of my stand

 It always takes longer than you think to set up a stand. Particularly when you are demonstrating. How much space do you allow to spread out and play? I wasn't really happy with it until the second day. My last show was pre covid in 2019, so it had been a while . .  

 

Video of my stand

There were exhibitors and visitors from all over the world at the show. I was particularly pleased to meet one of my online students from America. While we can chat and have tutorials via the internet, nothing can substitute meeting and hugging in person. It was so very good to see you Sue.

The lovely Luana Rubin, the last time we met we were both teaching on a quilt symposium in New Zealand
    

Amanda Hislop, Alison Hulme, Angie Hughes, Jenny O'leary and Viv Arthur. A wondrous congregation

Me chatting away on the stand

 I am planning new project which I will tell you all about when I get back from Australia.

 















It was great to catch up with Fiona Price, we were hatching a plan
















As you can imagine, the show was full of remarkable quilts. So much colour and texture, design and some quite thought provoking work. I didn't get a lot of chance to get out around the show, but there were a couple of exhibits that stopped me in my tracks.

'Harbour Floats' by Amanda Duke

Small and quite beautiful assemblages by Amanda Duke

 
I have known Amanda for several years and it is so good to see her working on, and creating, beautiful work. it is even better to see her exhibiting at a premier show. Brilliant.
 
Another exhibit that called to me was an oasis of clam in very busy and colourful show.
I have never seen Denise Labadie's work before. I was blown away by the use use of light and simple techniques used to create it.
 
'Friary Steps' by Denise Labardie

A detail of one of the quilts showing the different types of applique Denise uses in her work

 Here is a short video I made at the show of Denise's exhibit, it is hand held - forgive the quality.

Stone Portraits and Sacred Stonescapes  

 

 
Being able to stay with friends while doing the show can make all the difference,  I was so well looked after by Mary and Rowan, Rowan even helped me pack everything into to the car. I had of course bought various things while I was in the UK that are not so easy to find in Ireland!!

My fully loaded car

***

I am now counting down the days till I leave for Australia on Sunday 17th September. I am teaching at the Geelong Fibre Forum. It is a huge, very well organised event. It will be hard work and very great fun. This will be another amazingly social event. I haven't been in Australia since 2019. It will be wonderful to catch up with friends and students, and several tutors I haven't seen for way too long. This is going to be a very special event on so many levels. Squeal.

 

***


Comments

Popular posts

Extreme Surfaces for Stitch - West Dean College July 17 - 20

Zap, Pow, Slash and Burn! Foredown Tower part the first

Hot Textiles at The Bridge, Brighton. 6th and 7th September

The Full Works - 2 day workshop, Solihull Embroiderers Guild 17th & 18th July

More prettys at Bobbys

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot Techniques for jewelled surfaces - part 2

Sussex Quilters - Tinkering with Tyvek workshop 5th June

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot techniques for jewelled surfaces part 3

Registering your interest in my online teaching . . .

Colouricious Textiles Holiday - Block Printing Jaipur. 20th - 30th September 2016