Having a catch up!!


An amazing pinky blue sky as the light faded on the 13th December 2021     

 

Well here we are - cantering towards THAT time of year.

How are you all getting on? Do love Christmas, or do you dread it?

I have had a busy few weeks with the exhibition and then a craft fair over 2 weekends at a local restaurant. I feel as though I have come into land now, and can take stock and start to look at next year. 

You might have heard that Ireland suffered a pretty big storm last weekend. Luckily, only my big storage shed suffered, losing part of the roof. I am getting used to the regular storms that we enjoy on the west coast, but storm Bara was much more powerful than normal. I suspect the storms will be getting more powerful as the years go on. But onto happier and more colourful things.

December can be strange weather wise here on the west coast of Ireland. We had temperatures of 13 degrees a couple of days ago. quite balmy. But today is pretty chilly. The skies can be quite amazing in this last month of the year. On a cloudless and therefore very cold night, the stars are just fabulous. With very little light pollution here on Loop Head, the stars put on quite a show.

 

It's just amazing what you can see.
 

Likewise, the sunrises and sunsets can be quite spectacular. 

A rather glorious sunrise last week.

 
I think you can see how I am surrounded by inspiration for my large canvases. 


I am taking a 3 week break over Christmas, clearing out the studio and storage areas and hopefully getting on with some new work.

***

Life on your own can be a challenge sometimes, the girls keep me going. We have to go out every day and the exercise is good for me, and it is so good to explore this beautiful peninsula. There is always something new to discover around the next corner.

Pops and Fizz on one of our favourite local walks. I love the feathery reeds, and they love all the smells!   

I think I will be making a few printing blocks of these reeds in the very near future.

With the darker evenings it is a treat to snuggle up with the girls on the sofa, with the log burner glowing. I would like to say I sit and stitch, but in reality I tend to watch a film or something like Grand Designs or a gardening program. Or something less - edifying, on Netflix!! I must make the effort to sort out some hand stitching. 

Firelight and candles during the recent power cut. A good place to snuggle down for the evening.

 ***

My live Zoom workshops for 2022 are now on my website and you can now book on.

2022 live Zoom workshops

Here is a short video to whet your appetite . . .  


I will be back with a look back on the year and some of the amazing work the students produced on this years workshops at the end of the month, and I will be looking ahead to an exciting 2022.

In the meantime - I would like to wish you all a very Happy Christmas.

Sending you all love and hoping you have a wonderful time with your families and friends.

 

x x x


Comments

Popular posts

Extreme Surfaces for Stitch - West Dean College July 17 - 20

Zap, Pow, Slash and Burn! Foredown Tower part the first

Hot Textiles at The Bridge, Brighton. 6th and 7th September

The Full Works - 2 day workshop, Solihull Embroiderers Guild 17th & 18th July

More prettys at Bobbys

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot Techniques for jewelled surfaces - part 2

Sussex Quilters - Tinkering with Tyvek workshop 5th June

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot techniques for jewelled surfaces part 3

Registering your interest in my online teaching . . .

Colouricious Textiles Holiday - Block Printing Jaipur. 20th - 30th September 2016