Catching up with work and workshops


Donals Boat, Carrigaholt, Clare. One of the photos I have selected for my exhibition in October.


How are you all doing? On holiday somewhere warm? Still at work at this time of day? Wherever you are reading this in the world. Thinking about cooking lunch or dinner? Whatever you are doing - I hope all is well in your world.

Here in Ireland you can feel the season is about to start to change. The nights are starting to get darker, earlier, and it is quite chilly in the evenings. As my Nana used to say "Winter draw(er)s on"!

 

A car load of colourful farm plastic  
 

I am starting to think about the work I am going to make for my next local exhibition. It is going to be a combination of photographs, textile wall pieces and a few large-ish plastic vessels. The soft plastic I have been collecting from local farms has been piling up, it will be good to finally decide what I will be doing with it. 4ft vessels hopefully and a few bowls. I just need to work out how many layers I will need for the 4ft vessels to be self supporting, we don't want them to collapse under their own weight. It will be great to be working with heat and plastic again, I even have a new respirator. I will let you know how I am getting on next month.

The 'Harry' cards.

Many thanks to those of you who have subscribed to my newsletter on the website. My list has jumped in size. The best selling item on the new website comes as no surprise. It's the 4 pack of 'Harry' cards. They are also a bestseller in the studio. 

Harry is the hare that runs around in my field most early mornings and evenings. I am slowly building up stories around him and his life on Loop Head. Harry is quite mystical and has a deep knowledge of local ley lines and understands the special energy they produce.

 

***

 

The live Zoom workshops are going very well, it is great to be working with students from various parts of the world. It is still amazing to me that students are willing to start a workshop at 5am their time. I have a new student who will starting her workshop at 2am!!! I don't record the workshops as it would infringe my students privacy. We have a relaxed and happy time on the workshops and that would change of the students knew they were bring recorded.

 

I have been asked a lot recently about recorded workshops. I am going to look into making videos to be viewed on my website. I will sort something out for the new year.


An experimental piece featuring Lutradur zapped with a heat gun and also cut with a soldering iron by Joane from Montreal who starts her workshops at 5am!

The Show and Tell for Zap! Pow! Slash and 3D was a particularly good session. There was some amazing work produced. I am going to dedicate an extra blog post to the work next week. There is way too much for this post.


***


Live Zoom Workshop News


Beautiful book covers made with Decovil light iron-on interfacing

 

I am thinking of offering another workshop for November to round off the year. I am often asked to teach the Decovil interfacing book covers as a live Zoom workshop. So workshop 10 will be Beautiful Book Covers. I will get it up onto thdecoe website next week. It will on Friday November 26th with the Show and Tell on Friday December 10th. These book covers can be a subtle or as jazzy as you like and make great gifts when made for diaries or journals.

I think that will do for now. I will save my energy for the next, bumper blog post.

There are still a few places left on the next 2 workshops if you fancy coming to play.


All workshops are live and in London/Dublin time.  

 To book on a workshop - go to the link on each workshop or go here - https://www.kimthittichai.com/workshops






Workshop 8
Boxing clever – making boxes and decorating with backgrounds and pretties.  €65 4 spaces
Friday September 24th 10am – 4pm
+ Show and Tell Friday 8th October 10.30am – 12.30pm
 
Create a fabulous, sparkly box ready for the festive season.
Or something more . . subtle.
We will be making lager boxes with the very firm Vlieseline S133 and smaller boxes with the more leather like Vlieseline Decovil 1. The box shapes can be cut with a scalpel/knife. Both these wonderful interfacings have glue on one side so your decoration can be ironed onto this surface. You will choose how you decorate the box, whether it is with my ‘background and pretty’ technique, or maybe newspaper faux chenille – or maybe both. You will be using recycled papers and Bondaweb and all manner of sparkle. We will look at edges and how you might join the seams of your boxes. Also, how they might be fastened, ready for you to enjoy experimenting for the 2 weeks up to the Show and Tell 2 weeks after the workshop.
If you would rather go ‘off piste’ and work on free form sculpture – that would be fine too.
  

To book - Boxing Clever

 ***



Workshop 9
Bonkers about Bondaweb!  €65 5 spaces
Friday October 29th 10am – 4pm
+ Show and Tell Friday November 12th 10.30am – 12.30pm
 
The price of €65 includes the one-day live Zoom workshop and the 2 hour group Show and Tell 2 weeks later. (Friday November 12th 10.30 - 12.30)
 
A day of 2 halves – in the morning we will work through the basics of all the creative applications for painted and unpainted Bondaweb. This will include foiling for T shirts, decorating book covers and creating beautiful surfaces on which to stitch, using all manner of sparkle or natural elements.
In the afternoon you can carry on working with Bondaweb on its own or introduce recycled papers into the mix and have a go at my Backgrounds and Pretties technique which can developed into making slip covers for books and fabulous brooches. We will also work with soldering irons to cut applique shapes.
At the end of the workshop you will have a folder of samples to develop in time for the Show and Tell 2 weeks after the workshop.
This workshop is suitable for beginners or anyone wishing to refresh their skills working with Bondaweb.

to book - Bonkers about Bondaweb

 ***

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts

Extreme Surfaces for Stitch - West Dean College July 17 - 20

Zap, Pow, Slash and Burn! Foredown Tower part the first

Hot Textiles at The Bridge, Brighton. 6th and 7th September

The Full Works - 2 day workshop, Solihull Embroiderers Guild 17th & 18th July

More prettys at Bobbys

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot Techniques for jewelled surfaces - part 2

Sussex Quilters - Tinkering with Tyvek workshop 5th June

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot techniques for jewelled surfaces part 3

Registering your interest in my online teaching . . .

Colouricious Textiles Holiday - Block Printing Jaipur. 20th - 30th September 2016