Having fun with a laser cutter!

 Foiled and engraved Decovil 1 cut with a Big Shot Pro die cutting machine to create a heart shaped box.
 
Hello, Yes! I know I have been quiet - did you enjoy the peace?
I have been fighting with finishing the manuscript for my next book and getting samples made for the shows that start next week in Manchester.

The manuscript is with my publishers (Hurrah!) and I have a few samples to show you.
I love teaching and meeting new students - and old ones! Claire Pain was a new student last year on my Foredown Tower workshops. She was great fun and fitted in well with the usual slightly bonkers ladies that attend my workshops. 
I love working with people who know how to have a good time.

Decovil 1 and Decovil light pre-coloured and foiled and then engraved by Claire on her laser cutter.


We were talking in class and Claire mentioned she had a laser cutting business, well, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I have been looking for someone to work with who understood what I wanted to achieve with a laser cutter - and here she was! I don't understand the computer programs that you need to use to make a laser cutter 'go'. I know what I want - but didn't know anyone patient, or interested enough to help me.

Claire has been cutting out all my jewellery shapes and engraving some of the surfaces. I have been working with the iron-on interfacings and foiling them.
Claires website is www.lasercutsussex.com


The heart shaped box.

Whilst the engraving is great fun, I am still using my usual decorative techniques to decorate Heavy Pelmet Vilene plus (S133) to create my earrings and brooches.

Earrings created from dyed Japanese papers.


More Japanese papers with gilding flake.


Foiled and engraved earrings.

The light is so bad at the moment - the images of the earrings are not the best - but you will get the idea. I must dash off now and make a cake - the parents are coming for tea and you can imagine the state of my house. It looks as though I have been burgled - I would much rather play with samples than clean . . . 

If I don't get a chance to post before I leave - I hope to see some of you at Event City, Manchester for the new show there - details top right of blog.

x

See you soon Jill x

Comments

Popular posts

Extreme Surfaces for Stitch - West Dean College July 17 - 20

Zap, Pow, Slash and Burn! Foredown Tower part the first

Hot Textiles at The Bridge, Brighton. 6th and 7th September

The Full Works - 2 day workshop, Solihull Embroiderers Guild 17th & 18th July

More prettys at Bobbys

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot Techniques for jewelled surfaces - part 2

Sussex Quilters - Tinkering with Tyvek workshop 5th June

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot techniques for jewelled surfaces part 3

Registering your interest in my online teaching . . .

Colouricious Textiles Holiday - Block Printing Jaipur. 20th - 30th September 2016