Drawing and painting the ExTex still life.

 A 'squidgey' print taken from the left over paint from painting the colour wheel.

I have just about finished clearing up from filming the 3rd and 4th weekends of Experimental Textiles Online. The 3rd weekend looks at colour and the 4th weekend is the still life. Students will be encouraged to build their own still life - or they can paint and draw from images of mine. I find a large scale still life is less frightening than the usual bowl of fruit. The idea is to look at shapes, lines and positive and negative space. It is not a competition to see who is the best artist. Few of us can paint and draw really well, but we can try, and the more you practice, the better you get.

 Jayne has a new clapper board to help her with editing the videos.

 We filmed the colour wheel on Saturday and the still life on Sunday.

 
 I use paper plates as palettes.

 When I was teaching Experimental Textiles at various colleges I always used a few of the same pieces, the wooden bird and the big lantern are 2 of them. Past ExTex students will recognise them.

 When building up a still life I use quite large artefacts, with groups of smaller items.

 I posted this image on Facebook to show what we were up to . .

  . . and my friend Jill Crowther painted this from the image - isn't it FAB!!

 It's good to have a mix of sizes and shapes to draw and paint.

 Me having fun with paint.

Krystyna's hands. 
My friend Krystyna came over to play for the day. I am not particularity proficient with pencil and paint so it is good to share the experience.

Some of our drawings.


 One of Krystyna's colour drawings.

 As usual with Experimental Textiles (ExTex) students will be asked to tear up one of their paintings and stitch into it - but not their favourite one. It is good not to be tooooo precious about your work.

I have torn up one of my paintings - ready to stitch.

I shall be working along the students with most of the projects and homework that is set. I am so excited to be teaching this course online - and I couldn't do it without Jayne - now over there in chilly old Brighton.

Experimental Textiles Online begins this weekend, there is still time to enrol if you fancy working with me for a year? Have a look and see . . 
experimentaltextiles.com and there is a video and more information here -

New beginnings are so exciting.

***

Hello Jill - see you on Thursday.
Hi Diana - hope all is well.
Hi Tod - see you on Monday. Sending love.

xxx

Comments

Popular posts

Extreme Surfaces for Stitch - West Dean College July 17 - 20

Zap, Pow, Slash and Burn! Foredown Tower part the first

Hot Textiles at The Bridge, Brighton. 6th and 7th September

The Full Works - 2 day workshop, Solihull Embroiderers Guild 17th & 18th July

More prettys at Bobbys

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot Techniques for jewelled surfaces - part 2

Sussex Quilters - Tinkering with Tyvek workshop 5th June

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot techniques for jewelled surfaces part 3

Registering your interest in my online teaching . . .

Colouricious Textiles Holiday - Block Printing Jaipur. 20th - 30th September 2016