On the joys of a good boat bottom . . Jersey September 14th.

 Beautifully proportioned lines.

 I have had a couple of days to rest between workshops this week. I have just about shaken off the very lovely - not - infection in my lung. It affected my voice box so I had no voice for 7 days. This has never happened to me before - no voice. It was a very peculiar feeling not to be able to communicate with my voice. I am well on the road back to being fighting fit again, but it does remind me I do need to look after myself a bit more carefully. Note to self - eat more greens!!!

I am on Jersey to deliver 3 workshops at The Harbour Gallery over the coming weekend. It is great to be back here. It's been 3 years since I was here last. I love coming over here and it good to have some time with Pat Robson, the Force Majuer behind The Harbour Gallery. Pat is great fun and there is always something good happening at the gallery.

 Like most of you who read this blog, I love wandering around harbours and piers. There are always wonderful distressed textures and colours to enjoy. The Harbour at St Aubin is no different. I found myself enjoying the layers of lines that can be found wherever you look. I love looking at the proportions of the lines, all the composition ideas you could ever need are right there around you.

 Lines of boats and buoys.

 
 Lines and shapes that have been created by lines.

 Interesting spaces between the lines.

 
 Looking at repeat shapes that also create lines.

 But of course, the boat bottoms were calling . . .

We all love peeling paint and distressed colour. All we have to do is choose which part of the texture to photograph. That is where it becomes interesting. If 10 of us photographed the same boat - all the images would be slightly different. Different compositions, different focus and different distances. We all see composition differently and we all have different opinions as to what looks best. That is the joy of art - it is all a matter of opinion. There is always the theory of composition to back ideas up, but ultimately, it is all down to opinion.

This turquoise paint was stunning, peeling back to expose some wonderful layers of rust. A classic colour combination.

 
 The ridges on the hull of this wooden boat are just gorgeous, and the pale blue paint is a beautiful contrast to the wood underneath.

 
 Another fabulous wooden boat.

 Great lines. It is all done for me.

This was my favourite texture. Rusting metal. Just wonderful textures and a great colour combination.

The workshops on Jersey will be my last 'face to face' ones until 2019. 
For the next year I am going to concentrate on teaching how to develop new ideas from the inspiration that is around you.
These kind of images are the sort of thing we will be looking at on my 'Look. Draw. Stitch - Retreats' in Ireland. Of course we will also have the amazing dry stone walls, coastline, rock pools and hedge rows to be inspired by too. 

 The hedge rows are full of flowers on Loop Head from July to early September.

 There are wonderful rocks to explore at my local bays.

 This link will give you more information if you are interested in spending a long weekend with me in Ireland with a small group - maximum of 6. www.kimthittichai.com/html/land-_sea_and_sky.  There are a choice of 9 weekends. You can come by yourself or if you belong to a group, then you are already sorted.  I am looking forward to working closely with small groups of students, we will have fun and create some fabulous work, inspired by the beautiful Loop Head Peninsula.
 Lobster pots at Carrigaholt pier.

***

Sonas Studio - online workshops

The online workshops are going well. There are still places and plenty of time if you want to join in the fun. Have a look and see what still has places . . 

A fabulous sample from A New Starting Point.

 ***

Hello Jill - my you are working hard.
Hi Diana, I need to catch up with what you are all up to online. 
Hello Tod - was sooooooooo good to see you in my house.

 x x x


Comments

  1. Love your photos of the boat bottoms, so inspiring. Glad that you have recovered from your lung infection.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts

Extreme Surfaces for Stitch - West Dean College July 17 - 20

Zap, Pow, Slash and Burn! Foredown Tower part the first

Hot Textiles at The Bridge, Brighton. 6th and 7th September

The Full Works - 2 day workshop, Solihull Embroiderers Guild 17th & 18th July

More prettys at Bobbys

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot Techniques for jewelled surfaces - part 2

Sussex Quilters - Tinkering with Tyvek workshop 5th June

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot techniques for jewelled surfaces part 3

Registering your interest in my online teaching . . .

Colouricious Textiles Holiday - Block Printing Jaipur. 20th - 30th September 2016